The present church was built between 1875-1886. At its completion and dedication it was noted as one of the most magnificent churches in the state and country, according to The Stamford Advocate.
The windows form one of the largest single collections of 19th century American church stained glass in the area. The large windows in the nave and sanctuary are American, from the Patrick F. McMahon Company, from the 1880’s. The sanctuary windows, left to right, represent the three central tenets of the Catholic faith concerning Our Lord: the Incarnation, represented by the Adoration of the Three Kings, the Crucifixion, and the Resurrection. These three windows are, according to the Census for Stained Glass Windows in America, “powerful and the most exciting in the series.”
The remaining large windows are of German manufacture from the late 1920’s. The Annunciation and the Immaculate Conception at the side altars are from the Mayer workshops of Munich. The choir window, of Christ the King with Heavenly Musicians, is believed to be at least of English design, if not production. The transept windows of Christ Healing the Sick [north transept] and Christ Blessing the Little Children [south transept] are from the workshops of F.X. Zettler Co., also of Munich.
The windows in the nave are the oldest in the church, dating from the late 1870’s, and contain floral and geometric decorations with symbols of the Catholic faith. The smaller, clerestory windows date from the late 1880’s and are American, likewise from the McMahon Company.
Windows were paid for by parishioners, all blue-collar workers who sacrificed to pay for them. Example: quatrefoil window in choir loft—right of big window, was given by Fanny Meredith, who was a scrubwoman in 1875.
Another example: third window on right aisle – Holy Spirit, Lamb of God, Cross and Bible, was given by Mrs. Ennis, in memory of her husband John, the architect who completed the upper church in 1886.
Total Windows: 72
3 enormous: choir loft & 2 transepts
17 large windows
1 quatrefoil—choir loft on right
36 small clerestory windows
5 vestibule windows
2 bell tower windows
8 entrance windows
Entrance way: [Vestibule—5 windows, 4 can be seen]
Far Right: Cherubim + decorations [Far left—bookstore: Cherubim]
Door right + left: bullet glass decorations
Inside church, facing the back wall:
Left to right: Holy Spirit; Lilly of BVM; Crown of David; Eucharist—doors–
Crown of Thorns + I H S; Hammer + Pincers; Whips + Pillar;
Ladder, lance + sponge.
Choir Loft: Christ the Davidic King [inscription around Jesus’ head-Rex Davidicus] with angels playing musical instruments: Christ is the fulfillment of all prophecy, which spoke of David’s Son ruling forever.
Facing Altar: Left side aisle: 1875
Window 1: Alpha + Omega: Christ is the beginning and end of all time and things.
Lamb of God: Christ, the final sacrifice on the Cross brings salvation.
I H S: 1st three letters of Jesus in Greek.
Window 2: Monstrance: Used in adoration of Christ in the Eucharist, His Body.
Cross + Crown of Victory
Thurible: Used to burn incense, which is sign of the prayers.
Window 3: Cross, Crown + Palm: Symbols of martyrdom + triumph;
Star of David with Cross: Christ is the fulfillment of all O. Testament prophecies and salvation that came from the Chosen People.
Cross, Sacred Heart, + Anchor: Banner reads: Faith, hope + charity.
Large Window: Christ blesses the Children—see inscription plaque—1930’s
Three lower windows are decorations: 1875
Sanctuary Windows:–above altar: 1875: Flemish
BVM Altar: Annunciation: Archangel Gabriel to BVM announcing Birth of God in the Flesh for the salvation of the world.—1930’s
Main Altar: Three major events of salvation history through Christ
Left Window: The Incarnation—God taking on human flesh—the Epiphany: 3 kings:
Left is attendant + St. Joseph,
Center is BVM + Jesus
Right is attendant + camel
In front of BVM are 3 kings
Given in memory of Fr. Rogers
Center Window: The Crucifixion: The reason God took on flesh: to die on the Cross as
The final sacrifice in fulfillment of O. Testament sacrifices to forgive sin
And overcome death.
BVM on left, Christ on the Cross with angels catching Precious Blood in Chalices, which is an allusion to the Eucharist, St. Mary Magdalene at the foot of the Cross, and St. John the Evangelist on the right side of the Cross.
Right Window: The Resurrection of Christ in the flesh: Christ rises from the tomb, with
Angels on left + right and stunned soldiers at his feet, put there to guard the tomb lest the Apostles steal the body. Christ rose in the flesh to destroy death, and bring salvation to the whole person, body + soul.
Given in memory of Fr. Michael Tierney by Ancient Order of Hibernians.
St. Joseph Altar:
The Immaculate Conception, based on painting by Spanish artist, Murillo. Mary was freed from the original sin of Adam by the merits of Christ, even in the womb of her mother, St. Ann, so that she would be Sinless + worthy to be the Mother of God. –1930’s
Large Window: Christ blessing and healing the sick: see plaque—1930’s
Three lower windows: decorations—1875
Window 1: Holy Spirit + Ciborium + Host: Eucharist
Lamb of God seated on book with 7 seals [also on high altar] which comes from the Book of Revelation, concerning the end of the world.
Cross + Bible: Salvation in revelation + grace of the Cross
Window 2: Chalice + Grapes: Blood of Christ: Eucharist
Window 3: Flowers
Sheaf of Wheat: Eucharist