St. John’s Parish began in 1847 and was established as an independent Catholic parish in 1854 as the Mother Church for the growing Catholic community of Stamford, Darien, Greenwich and surrounding areas. All Catholic parishes and institutions in this area have their roots in Saint John’s Parish. On July 16, 2009, Pope Benedict XVI granted Saint John’s the dignity and title of Minor Basilica. Today, the Basilica of Saint John the Evangelist is the Pope’s church in the heart of the city, and the parish for downtown Stamford.
Mass & Confessions
We offer two weekday Masses at 8:00 a.m. and 12:10 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Confessions are heard in English, Italian, Spanish, French and Portuguese Monday through Friday: 11:30 a.m. to 11:55 a.m. Confessions on Saturdays from 3:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. Likewise, confessions are heard each Sunday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.; 9:30 to 10:00 a.m.; 11:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon.
Sunday Masses begin on Saturday evening at 4 pm; On Sundays, Masses are offered at 7:30 am, the 10:00 am Mass is a family Mass with choir, the 12:00 noon Mass is a Mass with Chant, the 5pm Mass is a Mass without music, and the 6 pm Mass is in Creole and French.
Pray the Rosary
Pray the Rosary with us after the 12:10 pm Mass Monday through Saturday.
A variety of spiritual, cultural and catechetical activities and programs are offered during the year, including:
- The Holy Name Society For all men of the parish: The rectory every Friday morning for coffee, Eucharistic adoration benediction & prayer, from 7:00 – 8:00 a.m.
- Sunday School (CCD) for the children of the parish is offered on Sunday mornings during the school year at 8:30 a.m., while the parents are offered discussion groups about the faith, followed by the Family Mass at 10:00 a.m.
- The Saint Monica Institute for Patristic Studies offers monthly informal reading groups in the faith of the early Church, meeting each Wednesday beginning at 7:30 p.m. throughout the year. Website: http://stmonicainstitute.org/
- Biblical Greek Course – The Introduction to Biblical Greek class meets weekly.For more information, please call Saint John’s Rectory at 203-324-1553 Ext. 21
- Our Pro-Life Group meets each Wednesday morning to pray before the local abortion clinic. The parish bookstore offers a wide selection of Catholic literature as well as sacramentals.
- Convert classes and R.C.I.A. classes are by appointment with the priests.
- Baptisms and weddings are by appointment with the priests. Engaged couples meet individually with one of the priests for a six-month marriage preparation program, which includes training in Natural Family Planning and meetings with other young couples.
- The spiritual care of the sick and elderly, at home, nursing facilities or in hospital, is a special concern of the parish, with regular visits by the priests and by Extraordinary Minisers of Holy Communion. Please contact the parish to inform us of any serious illness or surgery.
Saint John’s community is composed of American-born Catholics and Catholics from around the world, forming a truly cosmopolitan community in the heart of downtown Stamford. All are welcome at the Basilica of Saint John the Evangelist, truly the Mother Church of Stamford.